during the depression, Vernon Heckman began binding old books as a hobby in the basement
of his home in North Manchester, Indiana, where pride in workmanship
and a strong work ethic endure. With money scarce, but with more and more books
coming in for binding, Vernon formed a business concern of his hobby.
Paul joined him in business in 1935. In 1940 they moved their business next door to
a house which was enlarged several times as the business flourished.
Library binding was mostly limited to customers that were able to carry in their books
to the shop. In 1949, Heckman Bindery revolutionized the industry by adding a fleet of
trucks to pickup and deliver the books to the customer. The same year, the business was
incorporated into The Heckman Bindery, Inc.
After using the term "Bound-To-Please®" for a quarter of a century, it was officially registered as
a Heckman Bindery trademark in 1956. The same year, Heckman Bindery moved into a new
10,000 square foot production building next to the existing facility. Over the next few
years expansions for both offices and production were added.
In 1969, Heckman revolutionized Library Binding with H.E.L.P.®
(Heckman Electronic Library Program) - the industry's first automated binding slip
Still family owned, Heckman Bindery, Inc. is headed by
Paul's son Steve Heckman. Heckman Bindery, Inc., now in a
modern 100,000 square foot production facility, has grown to become a leader in the
library binding industry serving libraries of all types throughout the United States.